Monday, March 1, 2010

Reality Check: One Ugly Pie


So, due to my past baking successes, I was feeling pretty good about myself. And last fall, Brian informed me that we'd be receiving a bunch of apples from a guy at work. Apparently he had an apple tree. That got me thinking about apple pie. Mmmmm!

A week later, Brian texted me from work: Got the apples. I knew that my pie making plans were a go. We both had plans that night but I was sure I could bake the pie before we left. Brian got home and after a quick dinner we started peeling apples and measuring ingredients. Since I was doing the measuring, I didn't notice the tiny brown dots on the apples that Brian was throwing into the sugar mixture. When I took over the cutting, Brian assured me that the dots weren't anything bad. I decided to trust him, despite my great fear of eating a worm or any other bug in my food. Though mostly a worm. After cutting and peeling for several minutes (all of the apples had dirty holes) my fear finally caught up to me. Brian googled the apple's symptoms and then refused to tell me what they meant. We ditched the apples into the garbage, planned to pick up more from the store and went to our respective meetings.

It wasn't till late that same night, that we were again cutting apples, (though not peeling) and measuring ingredients. The first mistake was asking Brian to mix the dough. We both "thought" it looked ok. But when rolled out, it was tough and it kept cracking. Oh well, we were in a hurry. I patched the dough together and pushed it into the pie pan. Next, I slopped in the filling, then realized I forgot to add something. The filling went from pie pan to bowl and back, covering both in a sticky mess. I then placed the top pie crust on, remembered I forgot to add extra pieces of butter, wrenched it off, added them and threw everything into the oven. Finally relief! It wasn't till after the pie was done that I realized, I forgot to sprinkle the top with some cinnamon. Something my dad had asked me to do for him.

Well, I love to eat. So as long as something tastes good, I'm usually not too concerned with how it looks. (Ok, this is not true if it's something I've made.) Unfortunately, and this was the last straw, the pie tasted awful. And the apple skins that we were too tired to peel off, reminded us with each grueling bite, that this pie was a disaster.

Lessons I Learned
I'm glad that this happened. It made me realize there is still much for me to learn. And it has reminded me the importance of carefully following instructions and to not rush things. Though I did not accomplish what I set out to do, I ended up making something else, which is maybe even better.

A humble pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment