Saturday, February 27, 2010

Red Velvet and Baked Alaska




Red Velvet
My first cake made from scratch. (To merit the purchase of a cake stand.:D) I love the striking red color of the cake. Though mixing the batter made me a bit queasy. If you like cream cheese frosting, you'll like this cake. Red velvet by itself has a subtle flavor. But adding walnuts, which this recipe called for, or fresh fruit can add more appeal.


Baked Alaska
A frozen dessert that is covered with meringue before serving, and baked or torched to brown the coating and slightly melt the inside. Though the base is baked beforehand, it is stored in the freezer with the rest. My dad used to make this to impress my mom. For our second anniversary, I surprised my husband with it. For the frozen part, I used strawberry ice cream and sorbet, (Brian's favorite fruit). To simplify the recipe, which originally had a poppyseed cake bottom, I used brownie mix, which I think improved the flavor as well. This is not hard to make, but it takes plenty of preparation time. The ice cream needs time to soften and refreeze in the desired mold. The time for this increases for each layer you want to add. In retrospect, I should have made, smaller, individual servings for just the two of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment