Saturday, April 16, 2011

Home Is Where the Heart Is



So, for the past few months, Brian and I have been in the process of buying a house. We have officially outgrown our two bedroom apartment, and were looking for a place to settle down in and eventually raise kids. Also a bigger kitchen would be nice. :)

Anyone who's ever bought a home can tell you, it's an emotional roller-coaster with your hopes and dreams, and a lot of uncertainties. Amidst the super busyness of meetings with our agents, unbearable waiting periods, and disappointments, I began to doubt we would find the right place. And through the whole process, I found myself wondering, what really makes a house a home? And is all of this worth it?

I had always pictured our future home as a cozy place with big windows, a spacious and sunny kitchen, a large yard for our kids to play in with a garden and lots of flowers. I dreamed of cozy nights by our fireplace, a large guest room for family, and plenty of space to invite our friends over to entertain.

All of these things are nice, but I've come to realize, unnecessary. As much as I really wanted all those things, by grace, I can see now, they're not what I need... But what I do need has been with me all along. And no place would be as happy, as secure, or as complete, without him.

When it comes down to it, a house is not a home without love. Whether from a parent, roommate, sibling or spouse. A cheerful greeting, a warm embrace, the inviting smell of something baked just for you, these all tell you, that whenever you walk through your door, you are home.

Well, by God's grace, we have found a home. And it is more than we could have dreamed. We are overwhelmed with thankfulness and excitement. And we can't wait to invite you in. Errr, once our kitchen is unpacked, and I am again baking. So, fasten all your moveable parts. We're moving!

Oh, forgot about the picture. A special scone made for me after a stressful morning during our house search.

1 comment:

  1. nice story...
    kindly visit back my blog and click ads for support. http://driveology.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete